Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

hello... ok im mike, on wendesday... last week i had to go

Customer Question

hello... ok im mike, on wendesday... last week i had to go to hospital, and have a sti/std test at the cum clinic... it was quickly diagnosed i had caught gonorrhea... so i was treated by antibiotic injection, and 4 capsules to take all at once.... Anyway on the saturday i woke up had my breakfast as normal, then started to have the need for the toilet..... wen i went it was very loose.... from there i went 7 to 8times that day alone. sunday came and i was no better, anything i ate, would be out of me within the hour.... and again 7 to 8 times i went, obviously more watery brown... monday came still the same, anyfood in just out again... had the worst a ache ever monday nite, wen going to toilet, that i had to put my self on the floor, as to not pass out.... my partner called the paramedics, they went through everything with me symptoms etc.... and said it did just sound like a viral thing... however agreed it was going on longer than he would of expected... i then saw the outerhours gp straight after 12.30am whom listen to what im telling you now... including the hospital part.... and if i havnt mentioned it i do have I.B.S but again ive never had ib like this.... its now wedensday so day5 and im still the same.... anything in, will come out.... ive now done a stool sample to send to my local gp practice... but this states will be a few days for results.... paramedic said to me, as did gp, to keep fluid levels or id end up in hospital.... which is common sence, i know... however if i cant keep food in then surly i will end up the same place.... already alot weaker than i was..... anyadvise would be gladly recieved.... just to add there is no vomiting, just a pain in my bowl just before i have to go...
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

I'm sorry that you are so ill.

There are several issues to consider in this situation.

First, it is far more important to maintain fluid intake than food intake. The human body can go far longer without food than it can go without fluids. And changing to clear liquids also may help ease the stool symptoms, so is therapeutic as well.

It certainly is possible that this is a viral infection, and viral infections are the most common cause of significant diarrhea. It is also true that while most viral infections resolve relatively quickly, there is a small percentage that can persist for a longer period of time.

There are a couple of other conditions that should be considered. Antibiotics can also cause diarrhea by killing the good germs in the gut, which also can contribute to diarrhea. One of the considerations when there is significant diarrhea following treatment with an antibiotic is to try to replenish the good germs in the gut. This can be done by eating yogurt with an active culture or a probiotic supplement.

A similar problem is a specific bacterial infection of the colon that can occur in some people when an antibiotic has killed the good germs of the gut. The germ is called C. difficile, and the infection is called pseudomembranous colitis. It would require a stool test to look for this infection, and the stool sample that was sent to the lab would address this issue.

So, at this point, it would be important to be drinking clear liquids, both to improve hydration and because it can help calm the diarrhea. It also would be appropriate to try to replenish the good germs of the gut with yogurt with an active culture or a probiotic supplement. The results of the stool test will determine if further specific treatment is indicated.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.