Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have a history of excessive alcohol consumption - I believe

I have a history of excessive alcohol consumption - I believe I may be in the middle or later stages of cirrhosis - a condition has now appeared (darkening/blackness of the nails and also they appear to be breaking up and I can pull off the top layers of the nail). Does this confirm my diagnosis of cirrhosis - my doctor has warned me for many years about excessive drinking.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

darkening and blacking of the nails does not confirm cirrhosis.

Dr. David :

these can be signs of blood clots in your body and even blood clots from your heart.

Dr. David :

you need to see your GP doctor and get blood testing to check on your liver and this would be the best way to check on your liver status

Dr. David :

and you need a liver ultrasound or MRI scan to check on how much of your liver has cirrhosis

Dr. David :

hello?

Dr. David :

thanks.

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. I'm a different expert and I have a different opinion here. The blood clots the other expert mentioned usually cause think dark lines running up and down the nail but what you're describing sounds more like a fungal infection of the nail and with the brittleness there could be a problem with low thyroid function or a vitamin deficiency. You need to discuss this with your doctor