DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have noticed just lately that my ankles are becoming swollen.

Customer Question

I have noticed just lately that my ankles are becoming swollen. I have a sedentary office job, which involves sitting at a desk for most of the time, and during the day I can feel them becoming tight. I've not had this before until now.

I am a 45 year old woman, I don't smoke, and I don't drink to excess. However, I don't do any exercise, and I am overweight by about 2 stones. I don't have a history of heart disease, although my late Mother had high blood pressure and an irregular heartbeat. Do you think I should get this checked out?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I am Dr. Thomas, double board certified doctor in internal medicine, and in integrative medicine. I have advanced training in other fields as well. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question. Use reply to expert for continuing our conversation.

Yes you should get it checked out.

This is most likely venous stasis, bad veins in the legs.

However, thyroid disease, heart disease, and kidney disease can all cause this.

You are also at increased risk for clots int he legs.

You need blood tests, and an ultrasound of the legs.

OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.