Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My diabetes is controlled with Byetta injections, Metformin

My diabetes is controlled with Byetta injections, Metformin and Gliclazyde. Lately my blood sugar levels have gone through the roof, around 17-20, I am very lethargic and my stools are very loose (I have to go at least 4 times daily). I am drinking about 8 pints of water a day plus I exercise daily either with swimming or the gym. I am 64 years old, weigh around 22 stone but losing weight safely. Before I ate this evening my sugar level was 11.2 and I cannot get back to where I was at 6/7/8 or thereabouts. Also, my ankles and feet are swollen. Any clues as to what could be going wrong please?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

This is Dr. David

it sounds like you are encountering more insulin resistance in your body which can happen and cause worse glucose control and higher blood glucose levels

or your pancreas could just be wiped out and not producing as much insulin as before.

you might be at that point where you need to go on insulin injections, like a long term and short term insulin injection to better control your glucose levels.

the oral agents and byetta injections may not be enough to control your diabetes

talk to your doctor about insulin therapy as the next level of treatment

let me know if you have questions.

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.

With these new symptoms you need immediate evaluation.

The swelling is not just from the diabetes, but can be a silent MI. Very important go to the ER.

I am an internal medicine doctor and diabetes is our venue.

I have seen small silent heart attacks create exactly this picture.

Go have an EKG now.

Also infection that is hidden needs to be ruled out....today.

OK, so that is an initial answer…. Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.