DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My mother has just been admitted to hospital with a pancreatic

Customer Question

My mother has just been admitted to hospital with a pancreatic infection. She had been in serious pain and sweaty for a couple of days and had lost weight. She doesn`t like to make a fuss so hadn`t told us!

She is 87 years old and her brain is very young but she had bowel cancer when she was 60 which was treated and cured. She was left with a very large stomach which apparently was caused due to bowel surgery.

Would you please be able to help me with this.

Thank you. Margaretx

things since she retired at 60. One was bowel cancer that was treated and eventually cured (but left her with a very large stomach)
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Hi\

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Thanks for requesting me.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

What is your question specifically?

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Please enter chat and type

JACUSTOMER-7e5968ev- :

as she was taken in as an emergency and she has felt poorly for some time I wonder how serious the pancreas is because she hasn`t been eating properly (she lives on her own) and its not like her to make a fuss and call us (we live less than 5 minutes away)

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Quite serous

Dr. Thomas, MD :

serious

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Pancreatitis is a life threatening illness.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

But it depends on how severe it is.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

If it is chronic, a matter of pain control.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

If it is acute...dangerous.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

needs bowel rest and fluids.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Sometimes surgery.

Dr. Thomas, MD :

she should have a gastroenterologist on the case

Dr. Thomas, MD :

As well as a surgeon standing by if he/she thinks it is indicated

Dr. Thomas, MD :

further questions?

Dr. Thomas, MD :

Are you having a problem with chat?

JACUSTOMER-7e5968ev- :

Thank you. I am concerned as she has said for years she has been suffering from indigestion and she says she puts her fingers down her throat and makes a very loud "Burp" and that seems to release the pain. Her indigestion seems to have improved recently but she told the doctor who wasn`t happy with her doing that

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I have changed the format.

Further questions?
Use reply to expert.

OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.

Use reply to expert as needed.

Please use q and a

You are still answering in chat

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Given your last response, it is clear she needs a scope as well.
Please use q and A!!!

OK, so that is an initial answer….
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
This is Dr. David

I am glad your mother is in the hosptial for her pancreatic infection.

there they can give her antibiotics into her vein to fight the infection

and monitor her WBC white blood cell count and her pancreatic enzymes and liver enzymes to make sure they are coming down.

make sure she gets a CT or MRI scan of her pancreas to check for masses in the pancreas and abscesses which can cause infection.

I hope her infection gets better

she could also be having severe inflammation of her stomach from excessive stomach acid or inflammation from aspirin which can cause gastritis and nausea and acid reflux.

it sounds like she has a lot of stomach gas she has to release and burp up

she might benefit from a stomach acid blocking medication like nexium or protonix to help decrease her stomach acid

and she might benefit from an anti gas medication like GasX or simethicone which could help her decrease gas

let me know if you have questions.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
The question was locked in customer service.

You were apparently unable to respond in q and a but gave me a poor service rating without reading my answer.

I would not, in any way, simply tell them to give her an antacid.

She needs a GI doctor on the case.

If the Panreatitis is not full explicative of her symptoms, a scope needs to be considered.

This in part is based on checked the stool for blood.

A stomach ulcer can complicated this presentation.

I can continue if you like, I am a board certified internist and this is our area of expertise.

Please reverse the poor service rating.

I could not do anything about you being stuck in chat.

OK, so that is an initial answer….