Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a sensitive scalp on the left side plus a very mild

I have a sensitive scalp on the left side plus a very mild earache plus a sensitive eye which is beginning to appear slightly puffy and a mild stiff neck on the left side! I saw my Dr who looked into My ear and We both agreed it could be because of a deep seated dental infection around the bottom left side of My teeth but I am worried it could be something else! What do you think?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--any breakout or rash with this? How long has it been going on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No rash! Only became apparent 5-7 days ago!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Tracy--and we can continue after this if you'd like. Doesn't sound like a dental infection. Two possibilities here. One would be shingles if you've had chickenpox in the past. The other would be trigeminal neuralgia--an inflammation of the cranial nerve that runs through that area. Unless a rash appears it isn't likely shingles. The treatment for trigeminal neuralgia is a medication called Tegretol. For shingles it's acyclovir. You should mention these two possibilities to your doctor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I didnt say and I didnt tell My GP either that I had the sensitive scalp which I put down to referred pain from the dental infection a couple of months ago but it went away after a couple of days so is this trigeminal neuralgia recurrent and if so, and if the symptoms are bearable is treatment 100% neccessary? I was a nurse for 20yrs so I have some understanding of medical jargon!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No, it doesn't need treatment with medication and often it resolves in time. But it can recur so sometimes the Tegretol is necessary