Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have been on doxycycline as doc thought I might have lymes

Customer Question

I have been on doxycycline as doc thought I might have lymes disease but after 10 days blood test was negative so was told to stop taking doxycycline. My daughter is upset and said I should continue and complete the course. Your advice please.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--what's the dosage and how long was it prescribed for? What are your symptoms?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
115.40mg to take 2 a day for 27 days
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
And your symptoms now Margaret?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am feeling better but not got much energy. Blood tests were o.k.,but was quite unwell until started taking doxycycline on 2nd July until today.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Well, the test for Lyme isn't 100% accurate and many time people need retesting. That said, if I as a physician felt you might have Lyme's disease, I would keep you on the full course of doxycycline which would be for three to four weeks. Much better to be safe rather than sorry with this. Call your doctor and discuss this with him
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Want to know what TSH means?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Thyroid stimulating hormone--part of the blood panel to check thyroid function. If you need to discuss that Margaret, I'd be more than happy to but since it would be a new topic you'd need to open a new question page directed to me by using the link above my photo