Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

First of all I will be up front. I suffer from health anxiety

Customer Question

First of all I will be up front. I suffer from health anxiety that is almost fully centred on unfounded concerns on my heart. I have had 10 + ecgs, holter monitor and incident recorder all completely fine with some normal PVC's.
However, i have been getting my self rather flustured due to a strange occurence. I can make a pvc happen by stamping my foot on the floor. I am feeling my pulse and i can feel the delay in beat (beat beat (stamp) ____ beat. I am very concerned by this as i am rather heavy footed and if i am doing something of high impact (running etc) i am concerned that my heart would not be beating consistently. i understand that this is only one of those symtoms that will only ever be apparent with health anxiety (i am medicated (citalopram) and had therapy).
My question, is it possible for an impact, such as stamping my foot to cause my heart to briefly pause?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

How long has this been going on for?
Do you suffer from severe emotional stress or anxiety issue?
Do you get shortness of breath?
Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
I understand that you have severe anxiety and you are not only on citalopram but have also received counselling for this as far as I am concerned.
Most or almost all of the symptoms that you mention are related to severe anxiety that is not yet controlled with the medications or therapy that you have received.
Its not a heart related issue at all proven by the fact that all your tests are normal.
The main thing that you have to do is that you need to have a close follow-up with your psychiatrist and psychologist and have your anxiety treated.
It may require change of medications or increasing your dose of medications every now and then along with counselling.
I am pretty sure that with all the normal tests that you have had, that your heat is fine.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please do rate me for my services when you are done asking.
Kindest Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Dr. Shahzad,

So what I am feeling is not actually my heart skipping when I do that said action? Its certainly feels like it. But if i am running and this isnt ocurring then i have nothing to worry about.

I am in the process of organising further counselling etc. However these rather random fears and symtoms become apparent now and again. I have been on Citalopram (30mg) for over 5 years now so i imagine the effectiveness has plateued.

Kind regards,

craig

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

Skipping heart beats is actually related to anxiety. The most common cause of skipping heart beats is anxiety.
Since you have had all those normal tests relating to the heart this is not something to worry about at all and you need to have your anxiety treated effectively and maintain a close follow up with a psychiatrist.

Yes I agree with you. You may require a change in your medications.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please do rate me for my services when you are done.