Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Ive just overcome a 29 hour bout of constipation and have

I've just overcome a 29 hour bout of constipation and have found a lump on my anus/rectum. I've suffered constipation for most of my life (I'm 40). Usually, I've found it occurs if I eat too much chocolate, however, as I'm 3 stone overweight I've been following the Slimming World regime and eating plenty of fresh fruit and veg, and having bran flakes for breakfast...please, please help.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Customer:

Hi, Dr Shahzad. Thanks - any help and advice will be gratefully received! Should I be worried about the lump that I've just discovered? It definitely wasn't there before I had this latest bout of constipation. I'm very concerned, too, about the fact that I've experienced this despite eating 'healthily'...what can this mean?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Where exactly is the lump located?

Customer:

It's just on my anus

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Does it hurt?

Customer:

It's a little sore, but not exactly painful so I can't sit

Dr. Shahzad MD :

What is the color of the lump?

Customer:

It looks slightly red, but not alarmingly so (hope that makes sense!)

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It seems to me to be external hemorrhoid

Dr. Shahzad MD :

this is something that is very common in people who are constipated

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The most important thing here is to prevent or treat constipation.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you with me?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Anymore questions or anything that you would like to add?

Customer:

Is this something I should consult my GP about? I was just a bit puzzled because I have been eating healthily lately, but still got the constipation. Should I just keep going with the healthy eating and exersize? Should I be concerned about any underlying health issue? Or could I be over reacting?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You can take over-the-counter laxatives to treat your constipation. Try over-the-counter metamucil or benefiber which are fiber supplements and can help with your constipation. Additionally I would like that you should take as much fluids as you can. Yes, to be sure I would consult your GP. But I think that you are over-reacting as this is not something serious. Its most likely something harmless like an external hemorrhoid that I mentioned.

Customer:

Ok, thank you doctor! I do tend to over-react, so your response is reassuring.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Wish you all the best
Please do rate me for my services before you leave by clicking on one of the smilies below.
I hope I provided excellent services.
Goodbye :)