Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I am very frightened. I have a five year old son. I have had

I am very frightened. I have a five year old son. I have had some blood tests and the doctor has ruled out anaemia. But I have an elevated white blood cell count (and upon checking my records have had since 2009 if not earlier) and I am now being referred to the haematologist. I suffer from some breatheless after exertion of approx 20 mins as well as weakness after walking 20 mins + which is why I went to see her. She has advised that it could be a bone marrow disease. I had read up on leukemia etc. I do not suffer fever, weight loss nor frequent infections. What could be wrong with me? I am a 46 year old female.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome

Dr. Shahzad MD :

What is the exact level of white cells?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I mean do you remember the white cell count or have the report with you?

Customer:

the doctor didn't say and I do not have a copy of the report. She said is was just slightly elevated.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

'slightly' elevated is not something that I would worry about too much.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you on any medications for anything?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do you have any other medical problems?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

In leukemia not only the white cell count is elevated but the platelets are low and the hemoglobin is also low.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Also if you had leukemia for this long a period of time you would have already been in the heavens.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So leukemia is not possible in your case.

Customer:

No medications. No other medical problems I am aware of. She has ordered a Bence Jones protein test. I am very frightened because I recently started suffering from leg weakness and breathlessness. She also mentioned that bit could be some type mof blood cancer hence my very frightened state. I am scared

Customer:

sorry about the typing error btw

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If you could get me a copy of your blood result I would be able to comment on it better.

Customer:

I know sadly I can't at the moment.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

But only a slightly raised white cell count with other cell lines intact would not indicate anything serious as far as I am concerned.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So I think that you should most likely be fine.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Nothing to worry about too much.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Just let the doctor complete the investigations and I am pretty sure all the labs are going to come out clean.

Customer:

what could be the route cause of the leg weakness and breathlessness?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

How severe is your leg weakness and is it only on one leg or both legs?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

How severe is your breathlessness?

Customer:

Both legs but only upon exertion 20 mins+ exercise same for breathlessness

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you had vitamin D and calcium levels done.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would recommend that you should have vitamin D and calcium supplements along with magnesium supplements as well.

Customer:

I think she checked calcium and liver and kidney function all fine

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I do not think that the bence jones proteins test (which is done for multiple myeloma) has anything to do with your symptoms and this is not a sign of multiple myeloma.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I do not know why your doctor is doing the bence jones protein test.

Customer:

thank you, ***** ***** have provided some relief

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Wish you all the best
Please do rate me for my services before you leave by clicking on one of the smilies below.
I hope I provided excellent services.
Goodbye :)