Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I shall be going on a 8 day cruise to morrow. This morning

Customer Question

I shall be going on a 8 day cruise to morrow. This morning I noticed I have a left side hernia protuberance tender to push back. Seeing local GP this afternoon but in your experience would it be unwise to go away. Thank you very much.
***** ***** (Dr) - physicist not medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

how long have you had this hernia before?

Dr. David :

tender is different from painful.

Dr. David :

most hernias are reducible where you can easily push the bowel back into the abdomen

Dr. David :

in these situations, surgery should be done as soon as possible, but is not an emergency.

Dr. David :

some hernias are incarcerated where the bowel is strangled very tightly and if a large piece of stool gets into the bowel, the bowel can get stuck and strangulated in the hernia and that is a surgical emergency.

Dr. David :

so your GP doctor should be able to examine you tomorrow and see what type of hernia it is.

Dr. David :

hello?