Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

hello im trying to find out about "Bennetts Syndrome" [may

hello
im trying to find out about "Bennetts Syndrome" [may have mispelled it].
can you help please
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Could you explain the context?
What symptoms are you having?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
we have been told that there is a chroma zone missing in the DNA,
Its a long story, i will keep it brief
my son was sexually abuse by a man, which the police, social services were involved, but he CPS did not take it to court because the man suffered from Bennetts Syndrome.
We are desperately trying to explain what this syndrome is and a possible WHY my son was abuse as he can not understand it.
We have looked through the internet, reference libraries, even emailed the BMA.
i know that this man's sister has the same condition. and according to the mother (who knew of his tenancies) they could be the only two in the world with it.
apparently there is a consultant in Gloucestershire that has diagnosed this , but we can not find him. Not sure anymore if it exists or the mother has just made it all up ;
if you can point us in the right direction, any help would be great.
thanks
There is no Bennett's syndrome by this spelling that refers to a chromosomal deletion disorder. The closest that I can find that even starts with a "B" is Williams-Beuren syndrome, which is associated with developmental delay. Could they have been using this term?

There are a number of syndrome associated with chromosomal deletions. Alternatively, if you can find which chromosome is affected, then I can reference the potential effect by which chromosome is involved.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
we believe it is Chromosome 4
There is a syndrome that involves deletion of a portion of chromosome 4, which is called Wolf-Hirschhorn syndrome.

The symptoms of this syndrome include specific facial deformities, growth and mental retardation, muscle weakness, seizures, and heart defects. The amount of the chromosome that is deleted can vary, and the severity of symptoms is related to the amount of chromosomal material that is deleted.

If the man involved has significant mental retardation associated with this syndrome, then that could explain why the authorities are not willing to pursue any legal action.

You can read more about Wolf-Hirschhorn syndrome at http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/wolf-hirschhorn-syndrome.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
more information,
the man's biological father has a chromosome missing passed to this son and daughter. we now believe 1 strand was halved and the other was lengthened. but his sister's condition is not that bad, she has passed her GCSE's .
i will look into your suggestion wolf-hirschhorn-syndrome. \
The Wolf Hirschhorn syndrome can occur as a primary abnormality or as an inherited abnormality, but for two siblings to be affected, it would typically be an inherited abnormality.