Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I know that I am obsessive and I am sorry about that really

Customer Question

I know that I am obsessive and I am sorry about that really I am. I have OCD, and I am being treated for it by medication. I try to treat myself through CBT. Sometimes it is hard to tell what is obsessive and what is a real concern. The problem is that I have been misdiagnosed with Thyroid Cancer and a year after a clear Mammagram I had Breast Cancer, so this has made my need to check things worse. I have just cut myself preparing dinner on a knife, and now I am worried that my cleaner who helps me clean sometimes had left an hour before, could have cut herself on the knife as it's on a rack, and I am worried I could be infected with HIV, is this just an obsession or do I have a cause to be worried? I can't ask the poor girl if she is HIV+.
I will try not to bother you any more as I think a crutch is not the right thing for getting better. sorry
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--I do think this is just your obsessive thinking. There's no reason to think she handled the knife, let alone cut herself with it. Even if she had, which is very unlikely, this isn't a scenario where HIV is transmitted so you need to take a deep breath and let this go