Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor ( General Medicine)
9385906

Today I had an episode in the supermarket I am menopausal,

Today I had an episode in the supermarket I am menopausal, early, and suddenly I broke out in a cold sweat and started to shake all over. It lasted about 8 minutes ,then passed. Is this normal?
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 3 years ago.
Greetings.
Welcome to the site.
Please answer a few queries.
1) Do you have any condition such as heart ailment, high blood pressure, diabetes, thyroid hormome dysfunction, or any other condition ?
2) Are you on any medications ? If yes please mention for what you have been taking them and mention the name as well ?
3) Has this happened before also or was it the first time ?
4) Was this episode triggered by any stressful event or situation ? If yes what was it ?
I shall get back to you once you reply to my queries.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have thyroid dysfunction and high blood pressure. I take levothyroxin, simvastatin, and ramipril daily. This hasn't happened before and I wasn't under any particular stress
Thanks for the inputs.
Well there can be a few possible reasons behind such a sudden bout of symptoms which can be a result of your underlying medical condition/s.
1) Panic attack -- however seems to be the most plausible explanation to your clinical symptoms since peri-menopause age ( i.e is around menopause) can at times have panic attacks / anxiety attacks as symptoms which crop up suddenly and subside spontaneously within minutes without any intervention being applied. These panic attacks are not life threatening as they appear to be to the person having them and they may not cause any harm to the sufferer who can best avoid them by not giving the attack too much attention or focus.
2) Blood pressure fluctuation -- can also lead to such symptoms but then this is a distant second possibility, however i suggest that you get your blood pressure monitored on 3 consecutive days so as to assess how well it is maintained with the drugs.
3) Thyroid dysfunction -- can too result in such a similar clinical picture specially if the thyroid hormone levels get deranged , however this too does not seem to be a primary possibility but to be more sure about this you may get your Serum TSH done in the near future.
So all in all, your condition most likely looks like a panic attack or anxiety attack which while can occur to anyone at anytime, but its propensity for occurrence may be slightly higher in peri-menopause age . But in any case, this does not seem like a serious issue and it may so happen that this may never repeat itself ever in your life. So just wait and watch without getting unnecessarily tense about it.
I hope this helps.
Wish you all the best.
Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer.