Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Hi, I need some clarification on my celiac panel test results.

Hi,I need some clarification on my celiac panel test results. Transglutaminase IgA 2.0 <15Gliadin IgA 4.4. Range: 15 positive Gliadin IgG 26.5 ( same ranges are above hence massively concerned) Anti endomysium IgA. Negative (no ranges given) I got reassured yesterday that the IgG test is not Celiac specific but have since read that the new deamidated Gliadin test IgG is actually specific and if it comes back positive then celiac can be diagnosed. I am very worried as I am pregnant and concerned about the effects on baby, particularly the connection to autism. I am therefore looking for a GI doctor to help me interpret these results before I have a chance to see my gp on Monday.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. K. : Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.
Dr. K. : I f only the antigliadin igg is positive and iga negative this is not strongly suggestive for celic. Many people are igg poditive and dont have it. The.true test is intestinal biopsy and positive response to gluten free diet
Dr. K. : In terms of autism there is no one causal factor. Its multifActorial and caused by many things combined. Genetics plays a role. Celiac is the least of your worries. Hope this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So you would say that even if the deamidated Gliadin IgG is positive it's still not suggestive of celiac? I should add that I did not prepare particularly for this test, but I wasn't eliminating gluten purposefully from my diet either. I don't eat much bread or pastas anyway but I so eat a wrap a day and pastries for breakfast so I do get some gluten in my diet, which in my layman understanding would mean that I should test positive on the IgAs.
I worry as I read that deamidatsd gliadin IgG which is the new Gliadin antibodies test is strongly suggestive of celiac.
I also read that a mother's celiac disease increased autism risk in the baby by 350%. I know there is no definitive link but there is some research suggesting that autoimmune diseases increase risks.
I should also add that I have some symptoms of celiac: loss of tooth enamel, ibs, dry skin, anxiety and depression, eczema on hands, and I do bloat when I have gluten. Always had some gi problems but gp always said it's ibs.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
No. Elevation of only that igg is not suggestive. There is no preparation for the test. Just the need to do it prior to eliminating gluten
Theres no one cause of autism and hundreds of things someone has shown to increase the risk
Again. Whats diagnostic are not what you describe but an intestinal biopsy and trial of a gluten free diet
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you please give me your thoughts on the below link?http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/89030This is where I read that positive IgG are suggestive or celiac. Your answers are reassuring. From my results then you wouldn't say I'm celiac then? Would you know why my gliadin IgG are so high?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
The link does not work. Many people are igg positive and do not have celiac. Its not diagnostic if thats all thats positive. Your levels may be high because 1. Many people have high levels. 2. You have other allergy. 3. You have celiac. Thats why it really doesnt mean much
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/89030
Trying to post the link again but if it doesn't work this is basically what thu say that rings alarm bells for me:
Reference Values
Negative: 30.0 U
Reference values apply to all ages.
Interpretation
Positive test results for deamidated gliadin antibodies, IgA or IgG, are consistent with the diagnosis of celiac disease.
Negative results indicate a decreased likelihood of celiac disease.
Decreased levels of deamidated gliadin antibodies, IgA or IgG, following treatment with a gluten-free diet are consistent with adherence to the diet. Persistence of high levels of antibodies following dietary treatment suggest poor adherence to the diet or the presence of refractory disease.
Cautions
Measurements of deamidated gliadin antibodies should not be relied upon exclusively to establish or rule out the diagnosis of celiac disease.
This test should not be ordered as a replacement for TSTGP / Tissue Transglutaminase (Ttg) Antibodies, IgA and IgG Profile, Serum.
From what I underhand and read on different celiac sites this test is very specific to celiac as opposed to the old type of Gliadin test. I'm still waiting for a confirmation feel the lab, which test I had.
I try to erasure myself that if wasn't specifically gluten free then likely the other antibody tests would have come back positive, would you agree?
As you can see i am very anxious about this:(
How long would I have to be gluten free for the IgA antibodies to be negative like they are in my test results?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
All co nsistent with my answer. Not diagnostic. You could follow a gluten free diet for 3 weeks and retest and see how you feel
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified with experience in primary care.