Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

So when I washed the TShirt my son was wearing which was splattered

Customer Question

So when I washed the TShirt my son was wearing which was splattered with blood from the boy in the nightclub who told everyone who was spattered in blood that he was HIV positive, I washed the t shirt and had a cut on my finger when I was putting the TShirt in the washing machine, could I have caught HIV? Or would the virus have been dead?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 years ago.
Dr Basu :

Hi there, This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr Basu :

HIV virus even if present in splattered blood does not remain active for long usually.

Dr Basu :

And the risk of HIV transmission from a small cut in your finger is very low.

Dr Basu :

The risk is about one in 1000 cases to be precise.

Dr Basu :

So, this is not a concerning incident.

Dr Basu :

No testing or treatment is recommended based on this incident.

Dr Basu :

Please reply with further questions.

It was my pleasure to help you today.
I am Dr Basu experienced in Infectious Diseases.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 years ago.
Dr Basu : Hi there, This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
Dr Basu : HIV virus even if present in splattered blood does not remain active for long usually.
Dr Basu : And the risk of HIV transmission from a small cut in your finger is very low.
Dr Basu : The risk is about one in 1000 cases to be precise.
Dr Basu : So, this is not a concerning incident.
Dr Basu : No testing or treatment is recommended based on this incident.
Dr Basu : Please reply with further questions.
It was my pleasure to help you today.
This is the link to my profile:
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What about if our underwear was washed with the possible HIV blood splattered T Shirt, would that be possible to catch HIV from then wearing our underwear?. Please could you let me know many thanks. I need to know if HIV is easy to catch? For example my son sat in the car with the blood splattered TShirt could the blood got on the seat belt and then transferred to me when I sat there, after I had a Minor op for a port removal for Chemotherapy? Or would the virus die?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 years ago.
The risk is still very low as above.
Still practically no risk in other words.
HIV is not easy to catch in the first place.
The virus does not live long outside the body usually.

Please do not worry.

It was my pleasure to help you today.
This is the link to my profile:
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What about when I clean the toilet, my 16 year old have a monthly period, so I am always cleaning blood away, but my cleaner used the toilet yesterday, so supposed it was her blood I cleaned up, I cut myself on a knife yesterday and have a small cut on my finger, I did not wear rubber gloves to clean, as I cleaned up without thinking. Should I be worried or is it this dreadful condition I have OCD?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 years ago.
No this still does not constitute any risk for HIV transmission.
YOu can put this worry to rest.

Best wishes