Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I had a large Abscess under my arm which came up a week last

I had a large Abscess under my arm which came up a week last Sunday, along with the Abscess I had a number of Lymph Glands come up mainly around the Abscess but also a couple under my other armpit (right) - That day I had fever symptoms, along with sore to touch skin... Anyway, cut a long story short I visited the local Clinic (working overseas) and I was prescribed 2 Injections a day of Ceftiaxone Normon for 4 days, and then a weeks course of Tavacin 500mg. Also throughout the day applying antibiotic cream too the areas of the Abscess.
The Glands went down with 3 days (approx) and the Abscess has now all but gone - slight slightly red in the area (It was about the size of deodorant cap (circumference).
I have had a blood test and my White Cell Count came back fine etc... The doctor has said it is fine and come back maybe in to weeks.
My question to her, was the hard deposit under my skin (doesn't feel like a lump - more like rock hard). She said this is scar tissue left by the abscess and may take up to a month to eventually break down - Does that sound right to you? I don't feel i'll, never had lumps there before, the antibiotics have totally done their job, and all in all I feel great.
I work away, the doctor is French and I just wanted to know, is it possible for Scar tissue to be left in the area of a large abscess!
I initially asked them to drain it, but they decided on this remedy.
I am away for a further 3 weeks, so thought I would ask anyway.
I am working overseas
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Phil, MD :

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Dr. Phil, MD :

please enter chat

Customer:

Hi Dr Phil, I don't seem to be able to see your answer.

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi I'm Dr. phil

Dr. Phil, MD :

Can I ask your first name?

Customer:

Paul

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi Paul

Dr. Phil, MD :

nice to meet you

Dr. Phil, MD :

This is absolutely correct Paul

Dr. Phil, MD :

This is not really scar tissue though

Dr. Phil, MD :

more like residual infection

Dr. Phil, MD :

that will heal up over time

Dr. Phil, MD :

But nothing to worry about

Dr. Phil, MD :

the abscess kind of retracts into this spot

Dr. Phil, MD :

very common

Customer:

So is it like a build up of Calcium for example?

Dr. Phil, MD :

pretty much

Dr. Phil, MD :

that is a good way to think of it Paul

Customer:

OK, it kind of makes sense as it is still slightly tender and has reduced so much but left this deposit I guess...

Customer:

So my body will eventually break it down... Timescale approx?

Dr. Phil, MD :

yes it is basically the body walling off the residual infection

Dr. Phil, MD :

usually lasts for a few weeks

Dr. Phil, MD :

3-4 I would estimate

Customer:

OK perfect... many thanks for your help and I can crack on now... Thanks doc :)

Dr. Phil, MD :

you're welcome :)

Dr. Phil, MD :

would you mind rating positive before leaving?

Customer:

of course and many thanks :)

Dr. Phil, MD :

welcome :)

Dr. Phil, MD :

cheers

I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)