Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I am having acid reflux and i am concerned that it may cause

I am having acid reflux and i am concerned that it may cause me to get asthma or stop breathing, i have very bad anxiety and panic, sometimes i am scared i cant breathe when my throat gets tight and sometimes it burns a bit. last night i felt this way and i think i had a panic attack but im scared i had asthma or something, i felt like i could breathe easier after a little bit and i calmed down. i have not been diagnosed with asthma before but i do have allergies and when my nose is stuffy and my throat feels tight from acid reflux it could just make me scared and be my anxiety. I am very concerned that my acid reflux will get worse but i am taking medication for it and not eating bad.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Acid reflux can cause a cough but won't cause you to stop breathing
If you have allergies and you wheeze then you should get tested for asthma
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have never wheezed before in my life. does this mean im ok?

Most likely then yes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok so there isnt much to be concerned about acid reflux if i am taking medication for it? sorry for the late reply, also a month or so ago i would go into my garage when it was shut and my allergies would get bad to where my throat would get itchy and nose stuffy and i would start to cough a bit with a sort of tickle/ a little bit of pain in my throat once i left the garage i blew my nose alot and it slowly went away was this asthma or was i just allergic to all of the dust that is in my garage and i just got bad allergies because i was in there for 30 minutes?

I think you are ok right now
But I do think you should be tested for asthma
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how do you get tested for asthma?

Pulmonary function tests
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have had that before, where they have you blow in the tube right? i am sorry i am just really concerned that i am going to have a bad asthma attack my anxiety is really bad.

Yes that's right
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

well when i had that i had an anxiety attack right afterwards and they didnt say anything about me having asthma i dont think. i am sorry about all the questions i am just really concerned that i am going to have a bad asthma attack my anxiety is really bad.

If you had normal tests you don't have asthma
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Im not sure i remember them tellign me to blow harder it was hard for me because i was having a panic attack to take a second to blow into the tube. after that i had a bad anxiety attack and they put me on the bed and measured my oxygen levels and told me i was breathing fine, after that i left and they didnt tell me about the test much.

You will be fine Ryan. But you do need help with anxiety
Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thank you. and yes i know it is ruining my life.

You really need medicine and counseling for this.
I wish you luck.