Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Think Ive got cystitis which came on during night. After several

Customer Question

Think I've got cystitis which came on during night. After several trips to the loo I started passing blood from my front passage which alarmed me as I am 74 years old. I think it has stopped now and running to the loo is not as often or as painful. I am type 1 diabetic and suffer from high blood pressure. Please can you advise if I need to visit my doctor or any other help you can suggest.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, it would be appropriate for you to see your doctor. It is relatively good that the symptoms have eased, but it still would be appropriate to be seen.

It is appropriate to suspect an infection in this situation, and if there is an infection, it would be appropriate to be started on antibiotics. If there is no infection, then it would be appropriate to pursue further evaluation to determine the cause of the bleeding.

Since the bleeding has stopped and the frequency has lessened, then it may not require an emergent evaluation, but it still would be appropriate to be seen.

It also would be appropriate to monitor your blood sugar closely and assure good hydration, as any infection may exacerbate the diabetes and cause increased fluid loss.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou so much. I ended up ringing the after hours line around 7 45 am. They had a good talk to me and arranged for a doctor to ring me back. He told me to go to the hospital where there is a doctor's surgery. It was a Sunday so everywhere else was shut. The doctor tested my water where he found blood in it although you were unable to see it. He gave me some Trimethoprim tablets, just 6 and I had to take them twice a day. I have now got to go to my own surgery this afternoon for my water to be tested again to make sure all the blood has gone.

Thank you for the update. I'm glad that you are taking medicines to clear up the problem.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My test was clear of blood and blood sugar was ok. My doctor is sending a further water sample away to see if there is any further problem. Thankyou so much for your help.

You're welcome.