Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, Doctor
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 yr experience: primary care, OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

Hi, I lost fraternal twins at 22 weeks. I went into hospital

Hi, I lost fraternal twins at 22 weeks. I went into hospital with a vaginal bleed. The obstetrician examined me and said I was 2 cm dilated on other symptoms. I was admitted and the following morning a consultant saw me and explained a cervical stitch was an option however there was risk of infection or rupturing membranes I thought this was too risky and declined unaware that by doing nothing I would continue to dilate and eventually lead to premature delivery of babies which indeed happened. I recently got the postmortem results back and said I had an IUI pseudomonas. I regret not getting rescue stitch and feel I could have saved my babies. I would like an opinion on this many thanks
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Kala :

Hi, Allow me to help you understand your particular health issue. I provide compassionate, considerate information. A few question:

Dr. Kala :

1. What is your specific question? 2. Did you require antibiotics during this time? 3. How long ago did this happen?

Customer: It happened 12 weeks ago
Dr. Kala :

Did you received antibiotics?

Customer: Yes I was given antibiotics when I was admitted as a precaution then I was given them intravenously during and after labour.
Dr. Kala :

Please tell me your specific concern or question?

Customer: Would an emergency cerclage have worked?
Dr. Kala :

Thank you for your responses. First it is important to know that anytime the pregnancy involves more than one baby there are increased risks as compared to a pregnancy with a single baby. The most common risk is preterm labor (PTL), twin pregnancies are often complicated by PTL. Next having been diagnosed with an IUI involving pseudomonas was probably the reason the PTL developed. That said an emergency circlage in this situation has a 50:50 chance of working. Having an IUI increases the risk of the circlage failing because the infection might not be treted fast enough to stop the process of contraction and dilation