Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am a 45 year old female of African origin. I was diagnosed

I am a 45 year old female of African origin. I was diagnosed in 2010 with heart failure - specifically DCM. At that stage my EF was 10%. After treatment including having an ICD fitted, my EF rose to 35%. This remained stable for two years.
Last month I had another echocardiogram. The Cardiologist copied me in on his letter to my GPsending him the report. My letter did not have the report. The salient part of the letter said :
"the left ventricle exhibits low, normal systolic function with only mild regurgitation".
I am unable to speak with either my GP or the Cardiologist for a few days. In the meantime I was wondering if you could tell me the significance of the words "low, normal systolic function". Would this indicate that my EF has at the very least remained at 35%? Also, could the use of the words low, normal" indicate that my EF is actually perhaps in the lower end of normal i.e around 50%?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. All in all the report sounds very good. The low function wording means that the overall function of the left ventricle--it's movement--is a little on the sluggish side but but with normal systolic function it could well mean that your EF has risen from the 35% level and perhaps into the low normal area