Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi, my 14 month old daughter has hand foot and mouth, she is

Hi, my 14 month old daughter has hand foot and mouth, she is feeling better and the spots are starting to go. However she has passed it on to her gran and grandad. Both showing typical symptoms of spots on hands feet and jn the mouth along with a sore throat and general feeling of illness. My question is can they give it back to her or prolong her healing. She is due to go to them tomorrow whilst i am at work. Your answer would be much appreciated. Many thanks
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. If the grandparents have the same virus as your daughter--which seems very likely here--then there's no problem since she will be immune to being reinfected with the same virus. If, by chance, they didn't get it from her, since there are different strains of the virus, then she could get reinfected. The most sensible thing to do is to avoid her exposure to them until they too have recovered