Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Last November I was told I needed

Last November I was told I needed surgery for an Anal Fistula, and was put on the list. I had a date for surgery March 28th. I was cancelled a week before. I was given another date 2nd July. It was cancelled on the 1st july. I amd 76 and have had Crohans for about 20yrs. How many times can the NHS keep cancelling. I can only have surgery at one hospital (Watford) because I have an extra heart beat which makes me high risk. Is it because I am old and its not worthwhile. I'm in good health otherwise. Thankyou for your time Mrs Brenda XXXXX

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I am sorry the NHS keeps canceling your anal fissure surgery.

Dr. David :

this is really unfortunate.

Dr. David :

when is your surgery scheduled for now?

Dr. David :

are you willing to see another surgeon in your area?

Dr. David :

crohn's can definitely cause anal fissures.

Dr. David :

are you bleeding through your anal fissure?

Dr. David :

is the area painful?

Customer:

I bleed sometimes but not a lot. It is uncomfortable as I get a discharge and have to use liners in my underwear. I haven't even been told what the surgery entails, or what to expect afterwards. I would be pleased to see any other doctor, so long as I could keep a surgical date instead of being cancelled each time.I am told however that only Watford general has the facilities for if my heart gave them trouble. And the department that deals with my problem unfortunatly is the one that deals with bowel cancer, and that must take priority. Thank you for your advise ***** *****

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

I would keep at it and keep pressing for that surgery to be done as soon as possible.

Dr. David :

sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Dr. David :

you might have to complain to hospital administration

Dr. David :

or complain to higher levels up in the NHS to get more attention to your case.

Dr. David :

do you have atrial fibrillation of your heart?

Dr. David :

the codeine can often cause constipation which is good for loose stool, but you don't want to get too constipated if you have an anal fissure which can be very painful to have bowel movements with large hard stools.

Dr. David :

hello?

Customer:

I was sent to a cardiac consultant who recommended a pacemaker, but it had to go to a committee who would make the final decission. they did, 5 weeks later. The answer was no, but that i must go to a hospital with cardiac facilities and an ITU.I am careful only to use codine one per day.for the very reason you spoke of. When I said 'loose bowels' I mean literally water. My food does me no good at all because it goes straight through me. The crohans is untreated and won't be until the fistula is treated. A vicious circle. i called the hospital after speaking to you, and they said the have had a word with the appointment department. I can't wait !!!.

Dr. David :

I'm sorry.

Dr. David :

this sounds like unnecessary waiting.

Dr. David :

I wish I could get them to do the surgery sooner.

Dr. David :

do you have any other questions I can help you with?

Dr. David :

another option is that you can try to obtain a solicitor there to represent you to try to get your surgery performed sooner.

Dr. David :

hello?