Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Hi I am a male who turned 24 years old in May. I am approx.

Hi I am a male who turned 24 years old in May. I am approx. 5ft 11inches in height and I weigh 61Kg. I have a high metabolism. And I eat plenty it must be noted! I am quite lightweight. I take after my Dad in terms of my slim slender figure. He is about an inch or so taller but weighs a few Kg over 70Kg, and usually wears a size larger in clothes than myself. I am concerned that I have still not "filled out". I am concerned about how much longer I will have to wait to "fill out" into a more mature "man" figure. And therefore, considering starting a workout programme to help gain weight and muscle. But this would take a lot of time and dedication to maintain. If I knew I was close to "filling out" I would not feel as much of a personal need for such programme. So...How many more years can I expect to wait? And should it happen reasonably quickly or will it be very gradual? Or at this age is it likely I won't develop much more? Thank you

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Dr Basu :

Hi there, This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr Basu :

You still have good scope to fatten yourself up which may happen within 6 months to a year.

Dr Basu :

YOur calori intake should high at least above 2000 kcal diet.

Dr Basu :

Your daily caloric intake should be at least 2500 kcals ( 218 g carb, 218 g protein, 83 g fat) divided in to 4-5 meals.
Breakfast should have more starchy carbs besides proteins and fat like 1.5 cups greek yogurt, 0.5 cup raspberries, 3 large eggs, 2 granola bars.
Meal 2 should have 2 scoops chocolate protein power, one cup coconut milk, 0.5 cups walnuts, 4 egg whites.
Meal 3 lunch should have 2 lettuce leaves, 8 ounces ground beef, 1 tablespoon mayonnaise.
Include a post work out shake like 2 cans of ensure protein shake.

Dinner should contain 1/4th cup brown rice, 4 cups spinach; 2 lbs of lean chicken meat ( or fish), 1/2 cup of feta cheese, 2 table spoon olive oil.
You can include other fruits also like apples, bananas, blue berries as you like.

Dr Basu :

So, do not worry, you will be able to gain that 9 kg over 6 to 12 months.

Dr Basu :

Best wishes,

Dr Basu :

It was my pleasure to help you today.
I am Dr Basu experienced in Metabolic Diseases.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Dr Basu : Hi there, This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
Dr Basu : You still have good scope to fatten yourself up which may happen within 6 months to a year.
Dr Basu : YOur calori intake should high at least above 2000 kcal diet.
Dr Basu : Your daily caloric intake should be at least 2500 kcals ( 218 g carb, 218 g protein, 83 g fat) divided in to 4-5 meals.
Dr Basu : So, do not worry, you will be able to gain that 9 kg over 6 to*****Basu : Best wishes,
Dr Basu : It was my pleasure to help you today.
This is the link to my profile:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi could you please scan through your food measurement figures again to ensure that they are all correct please (1/4 cup brown rice?, 2 pounds of lean chicken meat? correct?).

Would this diet would be suitable (has enough calorie intake) for a workout programme of weights on 3 to 4 days per week and light cardio everyday of the week (10mins cardio on weight days, 30mins cardio on rest days)? Or for that would I require more calories?

If I take on this workout programme should I consider myself a special case (person with high metabolic rate) and consider doing less cardio or should I follow it as is?

What also concerns me is maintaining more weight - how quickly will my body lose weight should the diet change for a week or 2? For example if I went on a trip away, where my eating routine could be different? Would I lose weight very rapidly(?) or not if I came off the strict higher calorie diet for this kind of amount of time? So - should I be very strict with my diet and try and stick to it at all times I possibly can (even for a holiday, etc.)?

(IMPORTANT)->Also are you saying that this 6 to 12 month period should be my window of opportunity?

What I mean by that is if I were to gain weight in this period should I find my body keeps the weight better in years to come (because my body is still developing/maturing now) and later in life? Or will I probably find it just as hard to maintain weight then? Or most importantly - if I didn't try to put on weight in this period would that affect my size for the rest of my life and my ability to put on weight for the rest of my life?

Your help is much appreciated!! Thank you very much. I will rate excellent if you could answers all these remaining questions please. Thanks

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Yes the measurements are correct --and that is a sample diet --you can adjust according to your requirement.
This diet should meet your requirements for both weight lifting and cardio.
But you can add few more calories if you wish.
YOu should continue as it is.
But Work out program should be more as you want to gain muscle mass.
The weight loss rate will depend on physical activity level.
If you are on a trip, you may not do that much physical exertion unless it is a hiking trip.
The weight loss should not be more than 5% of your lean body weight during this time.
Yes you should be strict with your diet for sustained and consistent results.
No I meant that is how quickly you will gain the desired weight.
YOu can gain more or may take more time some times.
But this is the type of diet which will help you most over long run.
No, the weight gain part will not be affected.
YOu can gain weight anytime in your life.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
This is the link to my profile:
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD