Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have had tests which have shown blood in my urine.

Customer Question

I have had urine tests which have shown blood in my urine. When the samples have been sent to the lab it does not show blood. This has gone on for seven weeks. There has also been lectrocytes and pus cells although I have had a course of antibiotics and the urine sample at lab showed no infection. I have been told I am just one of those people who have false negative dipstick tests. Should I ask for a second opinion.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I would not trust the dipsticks. these could be false.

Dr. David :

I would trust the lab urinalysis and urine cultures which are more sophisticalted and more accurate testing.

Dr. David :

the dip sticks could be defective or could have been stored incorrectly which can affect the reagents on the dip sticks.

Dr. David :

if the lab urinalysis shows no infection, then you didn't have a urine infection.

Dr. David :

does this make sense?

Dr. David :

let me know if you have questions.

JACUSTOMER-er8mkwht- : Three different sources of dipstick were used they were not all from the same bottles. Why would there be lectrocytes and pus cells if no infection? What else could cause this?
Dr. David :

have you got your urine retested at the lab

Dr. David :

sometimes the lab can make errors as well and switch samples with another persons urine if the urine was not correctly labelled.

Dr. David :

I would ask your doctor to send in a second urine sample.

Dr. David :

if you have been on antibiotics already, that could have cleared up the infection already.

JACUSTOMER-er8mkwht- : Yes which confirmed today pus cells, nitrates (for the first time) and lectrocytes. This is the third urine sample analysed at the lab. I have requested a further course of antibiotics and the doctor will reassess in two weeks. I can't understand why every dipstick used has shown .25 trace of blood in urine (this has not been visible). What else could cause this?
Dr. David :

you could have a bladder stone or bladder diverticulosis causing irritation inside of your bladder

Dr. David :

and there would be no bacteria in the urine in this situation.

Dr. David :

you might need to see a urologist and get a cystoscopy to look inside of the bladder to check for bladder irritation and inflammation

Dr. David :

if you have a lot of bladder pain, you could also have interstitial cystitis of your bladder causing blood and pus and leukocytes and no infection as well.

Dr. David :

this can be seen with a cystoscopy into the bladder.

Dr. David :

ask to be referred to a urologist for a cystoscopy to look inside of the bladder.

Dr. David :

does this make sense?

Dr. David :

do you have any other questions?

Dr. David :

hello?

JACUSTOMER-er8mkwht- : Thank you for your advice
Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

let em know if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

best of luck to you

Dr. David :

if done for now, please leave positive feedback below the chat box

Dr. David :

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

Dr. David :

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Dr. David :

is my website if you need to reach me again.

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com