Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

i had a hysterectomy in 185 reason endometriosis which caused

i had a hysterectomy in 185 reason endometriosis which caused rectal bleeding during a perios when i asked some years ago did i still need a cervical smear i was told no as i had had a hysterectomy i have had a horrible discharge for years and now it appears you can have a hysterectomy without the cervix being removed i await a gyny appointement does cervical cancer kill people quickly or could it take many years i have had bad health for years
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

You had the hysterectomy in 1985?

Customer:

yes

Dr Uzair :

What symptoms worry you?

Customer:

vaginal discharge which stains underwear brown and does not come clean after many washes of underwear i also have constant urine infections and have a condition called pancreatic insuffiency for which i am prescribed creon i have period like pains which i attribued to urine infections also when i attemted to insert tampax to examine the discharge it was too painful. about ten months ago i had a transvagnal untrasound which had to be abandoned because of severe pain any further investigations would have requied a ga and it was decided my general health was not good enough. the question of whether or not i had a cervix did not come up at that time it is only me who has raised it and as i say i await a gyny appt

Dr Uzair :

In the 1980's most of the surgeons were exploring the fact about whether to leave the cervix in or take it out.

Dr Uzair :

That is the era when this debate started.

Dr Uzair :

Cervical cancer like all other cancers has constitutional symptoms.

Dr Uzair :

Like rapid and significant weight loss, loss of appetite, night sweats and evening rise in fever, generalized fatigue etc.

Dr Uzair :

However, it is not something that will kill a person rapidly and advancement in medicine and surgery have made it quite possible to treat stage II and III cancers effectively.

Dr Uzair :

The best course of action will be to not be anxious or draw any conclusions before your Obs/Gyn has seen and examined you.

Dr Uzair :

It can be established whether you had a cervix or not by a clinical examination in the office called a Vaginoscopy.

Dr Uzair :

I hope this helps.

Dr Uzair :

Please do leave a positive rating if you have no further queries.

Dr Uzair :

Best.