Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am a 25 year old male. I had a 10am blood test for Testosterone.

I am a 25 year old male. I had a 10am blood test for Testosterone. My results are below
TSH - 1.83mU/L
Free T4 - 18.1 pmol/L
Testosterone - 15.4 nmol/L
I am concerned that, for my age, my testosterone levels are low. I understand it is in the "normal range" but equally I have considered the normal range for a man ranges from an 18 year old right through to a 90 year old man.
I have very fine body hair and compared to others of my age limited facial hair. I have noticed that my libido has reduced over the past 18-24 months. I appreciate that this may be driven by other causes, but would be keen to understand if the testosterone result is a factor, and if so what steps I can take to resolve.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

This testosterone level is normal. You are correct that the normal range of testosterone will vary according to the age of the individual, but this level is normal for a 25 year old.

It is true that this value is below average for a male of your age, but we do not consider a value below average to be abnormal. There are many web sites that discuss someone having a level that is the average level of someone much older than that person, but that is not a meaningful analysis. By definition, about half of the men of any given age will have a testosterone level that is below average for their age, and we do not consider half of the men to be abnormal. It would require a man to have a level that is below the normal range to be considered abnormal, not someone in the lower half of the normal range.

Since it is normal, there is no need to do anything to alter the level.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.