Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I had a CT Scan of the chest, abdomen and pelvis because I

I had a CT Scan of the chest, abdomen and pelvis because I had a pain under my ribs on the right side. Nothing was found there, but I apparently have a kidney stone.
Would this type of scan have seen anything in the breast, stomach, ovaries etc. or would an ultrasound scan be better for these things? Also would the kidney stone cause a pain in the bottom mid section of my back? Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. The scan would cover your stomach and ovaries and all the organs in your abdomen but it would say nothing about your breasts--a mammogram would be appropriate for that. And yes, a kidney stone often causes back pain, but usually in the flank--the right or left mid to lower back--and not often in the middle of the back. For that, an MRI of the spine would be more appropriate to look for a disk problem. Overall a ct scan of the abdomen is more precise and definitive than an ultrasound