Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi I Work in a busy restaurant, it can be stressful, long

I Work in a busy restaurant, it can be stressful, long hours, in contact with a lot of people. I often get really run down, picking up bugs and viruses. My immune system seems to be quite weak. I've been feeling fatigued and weak over the past week and quite tearful and depressed. This has been off and on for some time. Also I've been experiencing a sore scalloped tongue. I'm waiting for the results of a blood test. I haven't eaten meat for two years. Do you think I may be deficient in iron or something?
Emma
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--from what you've told me you well may be anemic and with the the tongue problem you may have a vitamin B12 deficiency causing that rather than an iron deficiency problem. There might also be a problem with a low functioning thyroid gland.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Could that be affecting my immune system, making me often have colds etc? Or could it be stress related?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
The stress could be a factor Emma but anemia definitely dampens ones immune system
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can it cause depression too? I have noticed I have weak nails and my hair seems a lot thinner. I had the blood test last Thursday If it was serious would I have heard by now?

Thanks for your advice.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
The nails and hair problem along with the fatigue sound more like a low thyroid problem but you could also have anemia. And the two together can definitely make one depressed
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

But could my diet be the issue?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No, I don't think so since none of this sounds like iron deficiency anemia. It is possible to be B12 deficient even with a proper diet and even with taking B12 orally if there's an absorption problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I take a multivitamin and I take floradix each morning. I'll be fine for a few weeks but will then get run down, pick something up and have to take a few days off. It's worse in the winter. I often feel stressed and sometimes work 10 hour shifts on my feet and it's physical, lots of rude customers. I will knows the results tomorrow. If it is anaemia would I have to go back to eating red meat?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
If it's iron deficiency anemia that can be treated with iron supplements and proper diet but it doesn't mean one has to eat red meat. Let me know what the results are and if you will can we please close this page with a rating of my service to you Emma?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Doc it will be a weight off my mind when I get the results. Glad I wouldn't have to go back to having meat sitting in my gut.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome Emma but please don't forget the rating