DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

In what circumstances can the NHS refuse free care to a UK

In what circumstances can the NHS refuse free care to a UK resident? Particularly with regard to self-harm or overdosing
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Free care under what circumstance exactly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Attending A&E following deliberate self-harm or overdose. Inpatient treatment if required or any other follow up. Also psych support after such an incident

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Someone in a life threatening emergency can not be refused treatment.
Is that your question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, when can free treatment be refused?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
In that situation it can not be refused, unless the patient refuses treatment.
I still don't know the exact circumstances, but that is the basic answer.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will give you a smiley but just to clarify this with my situation: Unfortunately I am in A&E regularly and have basically been told that they don't want to continue treating me and may impose a charge in the future. Could this happen? Situation is further complicated by psych team offering additional support on the condition I don't attend A&E

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Yes.
If you are not critical, and if you are going there for something repeatedly that is not life threatening, they can impose a charge.
But if you are critical, they can not refuse treatment.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Potentially life-threatening even if unlikely? Too the point blood tests are needed to be certain?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Correct
If they find that you were not critical, and that you are in any way abusing A&E in their view, then they can charge you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to be a pest but I need to be certain, so if bloods showed high levels of a drug that fell just below the treatment threshold would that be a valid attendance? And free?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
That depends on what they decide.
Levels to not predict exactly how critical things are.
Up to them.