Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Im having a colonial colonoscopy procedure next month and

I'm having a colonial colonoscopy procedure next month and one of the things it recommends I eat a few days before is "clear" soup. What dose it mean by clear soup please?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Clear soups refer to any soups that are strained of particulate food and do not contain dairy. Primarily, this refers to broths, stocks, and consommes. Almost anything can be used to create the soup (meats, vegetables, etc.), as long as it can be strained out before ingesting the final product. However, it does mean that milk or other dairy products should not be used in the cooking of the soup.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So that excludes basically anything store bought?

It would be fine to eat store-bought broths, stocks, or consommés. Homemade versions may taste better, but what you can get at the store would be OK. The canned soups beyond these types of soups would be excluded.