Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Do beta blockers help with anxiety?

Customer Question

Do beta blockers help with anxiety?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--yes they can in a physical way. They can lower the heart rate and possible sweating that comes with anxiety--the physical consequences of anxiety. They will not, however, affect the anxious feeling and thinking itself
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I suffer with anxiety and panic attacks when I'm due to meet my girlfriend what can be done to prevent this?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Well propranolol--a beta blocker--is also known as the stage fright drug Matt. Ask your doctor about it since taking it about an hour before situations that cause a kind of stage fright can help you deal with that anxiety
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How long would beta blockers take to kick in?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
About an hour or a little less
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
But what could I do to help with the thinking part of anxiety
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
That might take therapy with a psychologist and something called cognitive behavioral therapy is very effective with the thinking problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would hypnosis work?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes that can be helpful--it trains you in ways to get yourself quickly relaxed in stressful situations
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How long would that take to work?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
That might take a few sessions with a hypnotist but once your get the hang of it it can kick in in a matter of a few minutes