Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

A friend of mine (22 years old) recently suffered from a psychotic

A friend of mine (22 years old) recently suffered from a psychotic episode. He was stressed at his work and started hearing voices. Everywhere he went, he felt as if people from his office were following him and commenting on him. It took a while for him to realize that it was him hallucinating and people weren't actually talking about him. The doctor suggested to take a few weeks of at work.
After the break he has started working at the same office again and it’s been over a month however he still hears voices. The difference is that now he only hears voices at work. He no longer hears voices anywhere else. He is much relaxed now however as soon as he enters his office the auditory hallucinations are triggered again and as soon as he leaves they completely stop. He is aware of the hallucinations but doesn't know what to do. What would you suggest in his case? Do you think he needs meds, or if he leaves his workplace, will the hallucinations completely stop?
Thank you very much for the help
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Hi there
I think he needs a very thorough psychiatric evaluation
Sometimes, disorders like schizophrenia can start like this.
It might be the start of something like that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the feedback. In the weekend and during days off from work, he hears no voices at all. He says that as soon as he goes to work, the hallucinations are triggered. He is aware that it is not real. Could this be something related to stress? His hallucinations started during a very stressful time at work. He says that, the environment at work is much better now, however as soon as he enters the office, his stress and hallucinations are automatically triggered. He says that he hears his own thoughts in third person. He doesn't hear voices anywhere else apart from work.

Possible but why wouldn't the voices go away if there is less stress at work now?
Also, that is VERY abnormal. Most people who get stressed at work no matter how bad, don't hear voices
Hearing voices is a sign of psychosis and needs urgent psychiatric evaluation
I appreciate the good rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)