Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

What does a result of 217 ggt mean

What does a result of 217 ggt mean
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question.
Well, GGT means Gamma glutamyl transferase or called gamma GT test.
The normal levels of GGT range from 3 to 60 IU/L. You have very high levels of GGT and should be further evaluated by your doctor.
Having very high level of GGT is indicative of - blockage of the bile ducts, or of possible injury to, or inflammation of, the bile ducts. GGT can be increased in fatty liver.
Also GGT is a sensitive marker of alcohol ingestion and certain hepatotoxic (liver toxic) drugs. Also, 75 percent of people who habitually drink large amounts of alcohol have elevated GGT levels.
It can also rise from a number of other causes like congestive heart failure causing congestion of the liver and its enlargement , hepatitis, cirrhosis,congestion of bile ducts, liver tumors and decrease in blood supply to liver .
You need to see Hepatologist (liver specialist) for clinical evaluation, further blood work and get it managed.
I hope this helps.
Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.