Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hello, I need some re-assurance on this please. My wife is

I need some re-assurance on this please. My wife is 32 weeks pregnant we had an ultrasound on Saturday and the doctor said that everything was fine he said that the baby was a little small but that everythig was okay. My wife is 5'2 and 49kg and I am 5'10 and 55kg so we are both small. They have asked us to do a follow up scan and they asked my wife to have TORCH blood test done. The results came back fine but they said there were antibodies for cytomegalovirus CMV but no sign of infection. My wife was not ill thoughout the pregnancy so I don't think it's somethig she got during the pregnancy but something from before . I just wanted to get your opinion on this.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. No real need for worry here. Just having the CMV antibodies means she was exposed to the virus sometime in the past but she doesn't have an active infection. There should be no risk to the baby with this but you need to have that confirmed by her doctor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes the doctor had a look at her scans overtime and said that they don't show any infection. If she got the CMV during the pregnancy what would that imply I mean just cause there is no active infection she could still have initally got it during the pregnancy. Also in terms of being small at 32 weeks do out measurements of ourselves above mean that he could be small be cause we are small? My wife was 49kg before pregnancy and is now 57kg. I know these things are all relative but can CMV cause the baby to be small etc?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I don't really think there's any problem with the baby's size--some fetuses are just a little on the small size. With the antibodies now present it isn't likely at all she got an infection early in her pregnancy. For the most part, even women with an active CMV infection during pregnancy don't usually transmit it to their fetus and even if that happens, most time there still is no harm to the baby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay thank you. Just some further confirmation, in terms of the CMV how long does it normally take between the period of infection to the antibodies as pregnancy is 9 months, does this mean that if the test shows antibodies at 8months then it could not have been infection during the pregancy? Sorry for all the questions you have been very helpful.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you still available?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. It takes a year or longer for the antibodies to form so she must have been exposed before the pregnancy. Nothing to worry about and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the response. Just one final question is CMV a serious virus and also how is it normally obtained I have read it's mainly from young children through tears and saliva. Can you please advise?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Not really a serious virus and many people have few if any symptoms after getting it. It's transmitted after contact with body fluids like tears and saliva but casual contact usually doesn't transmit the disease
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I will give you a rating shortly. But is CMV something people get quite easily my understanding is that most people have it but it's dormant in their bodies. Is this true? And what is normally the most common way of getting it? It's not the same sort of virus as HIV is it?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes--many people have it an it is completely dormant, just like the chickenpox virus after the outbreak as a child or the EBV virus with mononucleosis. It's not anything like HIV and certainly not deadly. As I said before it's contracted from body fluids like tears, saliva, sneezing, etc
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.