DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am 19 weeks pregnant and suffering from quite extreme food

I am 19 weeks pregnant and suffering from quite extreme 'food anxiety' issues following the loss of my 2 boys previously. I was eating a chewy cookie and part of it touched the hand that I used to change channel on the remote control. ( I have a dog and I know the remote control sometimes falls on the floor). Am I likely to pick up toxoplasmosis this way? Now worried.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I am Dr. Thomas, double board certified doctor in internal medicine, and in integrative medicine. I have advanced training in other fields as well. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question. Use reply to expert for continuing our conversation.
There is no risk here at all in my view.
Unless you are immune compromised, I don't see a risk of toxo.
The transmission is from cat feces typically.
Even then it would not be likely.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can toxoplasmosis be passed on from touching surfaces? I can't stop worrying about baby becoming infected. I think dog might have walked through infected mud etc etcetera
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Generally no.
Think about it, if that were the case, all sorts of women who get pregnant would be having a problem, but it is rare.
Basically you would have to ingest cat feces, and a signicant amount, and the cat would have to be infected.
I see no such contamination here.
This is anxiety.
I would get that treated without using drugs.
AS this will be a more healthy pregnancy.