Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi, 9 days ago I woke up with a terrible headache (stabbing

Hi, 9 days ago I woke up with a terrible headache (stabbing pain in both temple regions). When I looked in the mirror I noticed that both temples had developed swellings. I went to work after taking 800mg of Ibuprofen, and had to take another dosage during my work day. I got photophob and had blurred vision during the day. The next morning I went to my gp who prescribed me Amoxicillin for sinusitis and took a blood test to rule out meningitis. The test came back clear.
However, the symptoms persisted, though the headache was/is manageable with painkillers. I returned to my gp on Monday, since the antibiotics didn't help with my problem. She transferred me to A&E, where they kept me in for further ruling out meningitis, ignoring my swollen temples and just worrying about the light sensitivity and pain.
I was discharged the next day with "stress-headache". When I asked the consultant why I still have massive dwellings in both my temples, he only checked my left side, looked non-plussed, had a quick look on my bloods and said it might be a small inflammation of my soft tissue there, which can be treated by taking more ibuprofen.
Now, I'm not an expert, but I find it hard to believe that this inflammation occurs randomly on both hemispheres and totally accidentally coincides with my on going headaches, which are weirdly coming from my temples. It's not a stabbing pain any more, it feels more like my head is stuck in a wrench. Also, particularly my left temple is pulsing, making it hard to sleep and cutting out the pain.
I would be very greatful for any sort of advice, since I'm getting very worried about this.
Thanks Verena
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. This sounds as though you may have temporal arteritis--an inflammation of one or both temporal arteries. To diagnosis this you need an autoimmune panel blood screening and you may need a biopsy of one of your temporal arteries. At this point I would refer you to a rheumatologist for the workup.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Would you advice me to report to an A&E for this, since she ruled this condition out due to my age and seems generally at lost with it. I have checked online before and all my symptoms seemed to match, but since the long-term damages can be quite drastic I am not sure with how much urgency I should treat it.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Verena--this needs prompt evaluation and treatment so if you don't have a doctor of your own you'll have to go back the A&E and hopefully you'll see a different doctor. I would also ask whatever doctor you see to consider this being temporal arteritis
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** I feel a lot less like a nut-job now.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure Verena but let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you