Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have been getting some quite sudden strange symptoms, when

Customer Question

I have been getting some quite sudden strange symptoms, when I thought I was through the menopause. They started around 4 weeks ago and have been continuing and increasing. I can't see my doctor until next Wed. morning as not considered urgent. I don't know what is going on.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Could you provide more details about these symptoms?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had what I thought was my old 'ovuation pain' in low left hand side, then about about 5-6 days later, 2 small spots of brownish blood the size of a pea. Then tingling,tender, slightly lumpy breasts,which was very new to me. then very increased libido, when I have been completely disinterested. Then the libido normalized, but replaced with nearly constant vaginal 'buzzing'. And now frequent urination and very slight menstrual like cramps,very noticable when touching breasts or nipples and area of uterus feeling slightly tender and slight bloating in lower tummy.

When was it that you thought your were done with menopause?
How long ago was your last period?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can't really remember. I just wanted to take a really relaxed and natural attitude to it all. Was told by doctor that I couldn't get pregnant after 50. So stopped using contraception. Have had slight spotting at times, but had smear test in Jan and that was clear. Last 'normal period' with normal flow about 4 years ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

There are several issues to discuss in this situation.

The most worrisome concern would be if there is a malignancy of the uterus or ovaries. Whenever a woman that is 4 years after their last period has any vaginal bleeding, the first concern is to assure that there is no cancer present. Even if the vaginal bleeding is only spotting, it is appropriate to assure that no cancer is present.

There are other possible causes of such symptoms, including benign growths or hyperplasia. It is also possible that there could be an infectious or inflammatory problem or a systemic hormonal problem, such as thyroid disease. However, your doctor will typically focus first on assuring that there is no cancer present.

I realize that even mentioning the possibility of cancer can be very frightening, but the good news is that the cancers of the female tract that present with vaginal bleeding or spotting will usually have good cure rates, as they will typically cause bleeding early in the disease process when cure rates are better.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there any chance that I might be pregnant?

It would be virtually impossible for a woman to get pregnant 4 years after menopause without first going through hormonal treatment to induce resumption of ovulation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should I try to bring my doctors appt forward then , by telling them it is urgent.

The appointment next Wednesday would be fine from the perspective of appropriate timeliness of the evaluation. I realize that most people facing the possibility of cancer would prefer to be seen as quickly as possible, and many doctor will try to accommodate patients in such situations, but clinical outcomes of care will not be adversely affected by not being seen until next Wednesday.