Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

The patient has developed a fractured hip and also has severe

Customer Question

The patient has developed a fractured hip and also has severe pain in both arms which severely restricts movement.
The fractured hip is on the left side and the pain is most severe in the left arm.
The fractured hip occurred while the patient was sleeping in bed and cannot be explained!
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Where is the pain in the arms? In the joints? In the muscles? In the bones?
Is there any tenderness when pressing on the arms? If so, where is the tenderness?
Is she taking any chronic medicines?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

The pain is mainly in the upper arm and is tender when pressed (when blood pressure monitor is applied). As I said before, the pain in the left arm is more severe (the same side as the fractured hip).

She she only has mobility in her hands due to the severe pain in her arms. It could either be in the muscle or the bones but doesn't appear to be in the joints.

She is not on any chronic medication and only take a low dose blood pressure tablet.

I am leaving now to go the hospital so won't be available to answer further questions until later.

Thank you for your help.

Mary Murray

Thank you for the additional information.

The location of the pain would guide what types of problems may be present. In a woman with bone pain in both arms and a recent fracture that occurred while lying in bed, the first concern would be whether there is a condition that can cause bone pain and weakening of the bone. For example, certain cancers can spread tot he bone and present as bone pain and non-traumatic fractures from weakening the structure of the bone (called a pathologic fracture). There also can be metabolic conditions that can cause bone pain and weakness.

Plain x-rays may be able to determine whether there is a problem with the bone, but advanced imaging is frequently necessary. A bone scan can assess the entire skeletal system, and an MRI may provide more detailed images of any suspicious areas.

Muscular pain would be more concerning for an inflammatory condition that is affecting the muscle.

At this point, her doctor should be able to better discern the specific location of the pain and tenderness and then perform further evaluation based on the location of the tenderness.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know. I may be offline by the time that you return, but if so, I will be back online later today. I will be online every day for the next several days.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for that information.

The hospital have taken x-rays of both arms and my mother has had her operation for her fractured hip. Hopefully the problem with her arms will be addressed when she has made a recovery from the operation.

Thank you again for your help.

Mary Murray

You're welcome. I hope that everything goes well.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just to let you know I reviewed you advice and response as excellent.

As as postscript - my mother's x-rays of her arms reveal that both are fractured and as with her hip, there is no explanation for either!

I am very reluctant to allow her to have further operations as I really don't think she would survive.

Thank you again.

Regards,

Mary

I'm sorry that she is having such problems. If she has three fractures in three different sites without apparent trauma, that would also be worrisome for pathologic fractures.