Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi my husband been getting blood in you cant

Customer Question

Hi my husband been getting blood in urine you can't see it what could it be
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
I assume that the presence of blood that you cannot see was detected by a test on the urine.
Was this done by your doctor?
Did your doctor say whether there was any other abnormality on the test of the urine?
Which antibiotic was prescribed for the chest infection?

I had asked for further information and have not heard back, so will address what information is available.

Blood that is detected in the urine that is not visible to the naked eye is called microscopic hematuria.

There are many possible causes of microscopic hematuria. It can occur from an infection anywhere in the genitourinary tract, including the prostate, bladder, or kidney, with a prostate infection being the most common. It can occur from a kidney stone that is causing local irritation but not causing obstruction (obstruction will typically cause pain). It can occur from conditions that cause inflammation of the kidneys (nephritis). It also can occur from growths in the urinary tract, and these growths can be either benign or malignant.

I ask about the urine test because other findings on the urine test may suggest which of these possible causes are present. I also ask about the antibiotic, since certain antibiotics that are used for chest infections may also treat prostate or urinary tract infections.

It is also worth noting that if the only evidence for blood in the urine is from a dipstick, another possibility to consider is that it is not from blood. The dipstick test is testing for haemoglobin, and a positive test usually does mean blood in urine, but the dipstick also will turn positive if myoglobin is present. The myoglobin carries oxygen in the muscles and is structurally similar to haemoglobin, and it is the structural similarity that explains why the test for haemoglobin will also be positive if myoglobin is present. The myoglobin may be present in the urine from any muscle condition that releases myoglobin, including simple trauma (such as from falling or other injuries that may bruise a muscle) or inflammatory conditions that affect the muscles.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.