Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a catheter which only drains when I am sat on the toilet.

I have a catheter which only drains when I am sat on the toilet. I am on antibiotics and an anti-spasmodic drug however neither of these are making a difference. As it is becoming more difficult to get it to drain and a blaadder washout was tried and failed should I go to the Accident and Emergency department?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--it sounds like you need your catheter exchanged for a fresh one. These catheters can become partially blocked and often do need replacement, so, yes you need to get to A&E