Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

hello, i had done abortion surgery 6 weeks ago, and i am keep

hello, i had done abortion surgery 6 weeks ago, and i am keep bleeding for 40 days. i am very worried, what should i do now? i have not registered at the gp yet.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome

Dr. Shahzad MD :

you should go back to your doctor.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You need an ultrasound of your pelvis to make sure there are no retained products of conception.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Retained products of conception seem to be the most likely cause of your bleeding.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You will most likely require another dilatation and curettage if you do have retained products of conception in the uterus.

Customer:

i apply the registering form 4 weeks ago but i still do not receive the register information.

Customer:

if i do not register at the gp. what should i do now..

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You should go to the emergency.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If you keep on losing blood like this you would have already been anemic by now.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The bot***** *****ne is that you need to have this take care of as soon as possible.

Customer:

i have keep bleeding for 40 days, it does not pain and the blood do not have bad smell.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I understand but bleeding like this continuously will cause anemia (low hemoglobin) if that has not already happened.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You need to have this take care of as soon as possible.

Customer:

will it cause womb infection?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

That is a possibility yes

Customer:

do i need some medicine? i have amoxicillin

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I do not think that you have an infection currently because you do not have pain in your uterus (womb) and you do not have a discharge from the uterus.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

But I would still have an ultrasound of your pelvis.

Customer:

it has last for 40 days after the abortion surgery, should i wait for the monthly period or do the curettage surgery if there is Retained products?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would definitely have an ultrasound of the pelvis at least to see if there is any retained products in there.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Bleeding for 40 days is not normal after abortion surgery.

Customer:

i do not know how could i do an ultrasound of my pelvis as i don't have a gp yet...

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You can go to the emergency.

Customer:

the emergency at the hospital?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You need to go to the hospital A & E

Dr. Shahzad MD :

A & E = Accident and Emergency

Customer:

oh..thank you. by the way, i have a sex few days ago, and the next morning it bleeding more heavily than before, is the sex have bad influence?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes it may be a bad influence and I would recommend not having sex until you stop bleeding.

Customer:

what would it cause?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

After abortion surgery the most likely cause is retained products of conception.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Something remaining in the uterus which was not removed in the abortion surgery.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

When that happens the uterus does not contract fully which causes continuous bleeding.

Customer:

what hurt would the sex cause?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Nothing major but it can cause a bit more trauma and a bit more bleeding as a result

Dr. Shahzad MD :

There is also increased incidence of infection when you have sex if you are bleeding as well.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you with me?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

ok, that's all, thank you very very much.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Wish you all the best
Please do rate me for my services before you leave by clicking on one of the smilies below.
I hope I provided excellent services.
Goodbye :)

Customer:

bye

Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine