Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hello, I was diagnosed with GERD and a small peptic ulcer in

Hello, I was diagnosed with GERD and a small peptic ulcer in 2007 (approx). I took 10mg of nexium once a dat until 2012. I then stopped for a year in 2013 before trying ranitidine which did not work effectively. I am now on a 20mg omeprazole once a day and have been for 6 months... heartburn is the worst it's ever been with a consistent "stabbing pain" under the sternum. I have not had a endoscopy in 5 years. Any thoughts on what's going on here/I should do...?  I am healthy otherwise and exercise regularly.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. You definitely need an upper endoscopy and a screen for H pylori. The ulcer could well have recurred or at least there could be an H pylori infection needing antibiotics. That said, any chest pain, even in someone your age, has to have cardiac pain in the differential so you also need a full cardiac workup.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Dr.Chip.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure but let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will do. One last question, would it be acceptable to increase the omeprazol dosage to 40mg per day until I get my appointment with the GP (Monday or Tuesday presumably) or should I just grin and bear it?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
That's fine and it may help but I can't tell you to do that without first checking with your doctor