Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

will a child 9+1/2 yrs. old who is a picky eater, only eats

will a child 9+1/2 yrs. old who is a picky eater, only eats bread, cheese, eggs, fruit and veggies, is not gaining weight, weighs 22 kg.-1 kilo up from last year (after drinking 'nutra-%44' fat for a year); is of average hieght, very skinny, to be considered having an eating disorder?
if he has a eating disorder, does it shed light on his high level of irritability, despite him being a happy lively child?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
What type of eating disorder are you considering?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--I'm a different expert here. From what you've said he doesn't have a picky eater disorder that would affect him since it sounds as though he does eat a good mix of foods to provide fat, protein, and carbohydrates. That said, this could represent a medical problem as with hyperthyroidism or low cortisol levels so he should be checked for those.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

o.k.; now i found the right place to continue the initial consultation.

• so; what is 'hyperthyroidism' and 'low cortisol' in simple terms?

• does this suggest that he has been having sufficient intake of nutrients , including fats; but his body isn't breaking them down?

• what is a satisfactory weight for a 9.5 boy of average-high posture?

• if the problem is one of the aforementioned; does it explain his irritability when something doesn't just go his way? (he isn't spoiled; has 4 siblings...)

thanks

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hyperthyroidism is an overactive thyroid making too much thyroid hormone. That regulates metabolism and if the metabolism is high then there isn't much in the way of weight gain even with a proper diet. Cortisol is from the adrenal gland and it also impacts metabolism. If it's low that can also have an impact on weight gain. Hyperthyroidism can make one irritable and hyperactive. Right now from what information you've given me his weight is in the "normal" range--not too low or too high.
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.