Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My Vitamin D levels arent high enough after taking test. My

My Vitamin D levels aren't high enough after taking test.
My results are:
D3: 43.5 nmol
D2: 2.8 nmol
Result = Insufficiency.
Greater than 50 = Adequate. (New research appears to suggest anything below 75 could be bad)/
Also, the weeks before I did the test I consumed about 10 25iu Vitamin D tablets, would this have raised my results quite a bit higher too? It's now summer so my results would be at the higest.
So, one of the the quesitons I have is should I continue to consume my Vitamin D tablets daily to try and get me over the 50 line?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that you should continue with vitamin D

Dr. Shahzad MD :

25 iu is a low dose.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It is recommended that adults over the age of 18 should take 1,500 to 2,000 IU of vitamin D daily.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Rate me for my services when you are done asking.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Kindest Regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Rate me for my services when you are done.
Kindest Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for reply. So do you think my results were very bad or just not good? And how long should I wait before I next test after taking 1000 daily?
I've had spots outbreaks and I think it is due to my vitamin D been low so I want to increase it safley.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
So do you think my results were very bad or just not good?
Your results are not too bad but they are not excellent.
And how long should I wait before I next test after taking 1000 daily?
You should continue taking vitamin D for at least three months and then retest.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Kindest Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK thanks.
I Took 10 1000 vitamin D supllements in the weeks leading up to the test, would this have made the test higer results too? Meaning I could have been worse?
Would you recommend to 100% take Vitamin D supplements if your patient has these results, also, we are in the summer so these results would be my maxinum im guessing and they'd be much lower in winter.

Can my low vitamin D cause spot outbreaks? I've read it can and also effect testostorone levels?

Im taking 140mg of magnesium, 15mg zinc daily. Please confirm it is fine and safe to also take my vitamin D with these.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
I Took 10 1000 vitamin D supllements in the weeks leading up to the test, would this have made the test higer results too?
Yes it would have effected the results at least somewhat, yes you could have been a at least a bit more worse.
yes I would recommend vitamin D to almost all patients with these levels as there is not much harm in taking vitamin D at the doses that you are taking and then repeating the test after a few months.
There is no definitive evidence to suggest that it either causes spots outbreak or cause low testosterone levels. So can't say for sure if they do or do not cause these things to happen as there may not be enough research or data available for me to comment on this with confidence.
Yes its fine and safe to take these with vitamin D.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for all your advice. I've left best feedback.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
You are most welcome.