Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I had some blood tests done a couple of weeks ago to check

Customer Question

I had some blood tests done a couple of weeks ago to check my thyroid etc because I feel it is difficult for me to lose the 10 pounds or so extra I am weighing. The tests included full blood count glucose thyroid etc. all came back normal apart from marginally low WBC which is 1.15 I spike to my dr and she said my levels have been in this range over 2 tests in previous 6 years (they have nothing on record prior to that). She has scared me by saying that one of the reasons could be HIV although I have been with my husband for almost 10 yrs. she says I should get tested for HIV and B12 and Folic acid deficiency my red bloods are all normal and I'm not anaemic. I feel generally ok. Bit tired bit tend to work a 60 hour week (I'm 60) in a very demanding job. I am usually trying one fad diet after another and tend to keep carbs as low as poss with not a lot of fruit and veg. Should I be worried? Can you have a WBC at this level and still be healthy? I'm not prone to infections or colds etc
thanks
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer

Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:

A low number of WBCs is called leukopenia.

It may be due to:Bone marrow failure (for example, due to infection, tumor),collagen-vascular diseases,disease of the liver or spleen,radiation.

Other causes of low wbc count are:uremia,steroid treatment,aplastic anemia.AIDS (Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome) patients often have an abnormally low WBC count.

Multiple sclerosis,myasthenia gravis, and Guillain-Barre syndrome are the other causes which can cause low white blood cell count.Certain medications can also cause low WBC count.

As your WBC count is low,the first thing is to find out the cause & its treatment is according to cause.Remember low WBC count is not a disease but a symptom of an underlying disease.

So the underlying disease is to be diagnosed.For this you need to consult Haematologist who will perform certain specialized tests & scans to find out the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I could have read all of this on Google. It also conflicts with nhs guidelines
I asked specifics which were not answered
Please just refund my money
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is nothing I couldn't have read on google and conflicts totally with nhs guidelines that haematological enquiry is not warranted at this level since it us not considered low. Just marginally so. I asked specific questions which have not been answered. How do I get a refund of my fee. This has not been a good service