Dr Mask
Dr Mask, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS with 06 years Clinical Exposure in Surgery & Internal Medicine
27212923

HI I SUFFER FROM COELIAC DISEASE. I AM A MULIM BY FAITH AND

HI I SUFFER FROM COELIAC DISEASE. I AM A MULIM BY FAITH AND FAST FOR THE MONTH OF RAMADAN. I FAST FOR SOME DAYS NOW BUT HAVE NOT BEEN FEELING WELL. I HAVE HAD SHARP SHOOTING PAINS IN MY LOWER ABDOMEN, I HAVE BEEN OPENING MY BOWELS EVERYDAY BUT NOT CLEARING THEM IN RESULT I HAVE THIS HEAVY FEELING AND PAIN IN MY LEFT SIDE. I TOOK BYCOSDL LAST NIGHT. I HAVE CLEANED MY BOWLES BUT NOW I HAVE A SICKING FEELING AND MY STOMACH IS IN CRAPS. I HAVE THESE PROBLEMS EVERY NOW AND THEN BUT MY QUESTION IS DOES FASTING DO ME MORE HARM OR CAN I FAST ONCE FEELING BETTER?
Expert:  Dr Mask replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Justanswer
No fasting does not harm in your particular case.
Celiac disease is an auto-immune disorder and not a metabolic one like diabetes where a person may have difficulty/possible risk with fasting.
So the answer to your first question of fasting doing any harm to you with celiac disease is "No" it does not.
And the answer to whether you can fast once you are feeling better or not is yes you can, but it would be best not to go for fasting during the present state of symptoms as the fasting with nausea and cramps would make thing worse.
Hope this helped you understand the situation :)
If satisfied please do remember to click on Positive Rating (Preferably number 5 please) If you need further clarification please do let me know instead of any rating.
Warm regards
Dr MASK