Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I was prescribed replens for discharge which doc thinks

Customer Question

I was prescribed replens for vaginal discharge which doc thinks is due to atrophic vaginitis. But it irritated me. So I decided to try vagifem. Only on it twice a week for last fortnight. But stil have discharge and at times a feeling which I used to get with period pains. Have not had period now for approx 4 years. I am 55. Do I need to give this more time and should discharge clear?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. The discharge could be from a yeast infection and you could try Monistat or Lotrimin cream for that--that's assuming your doctor didn't culture the discharge. You could also try probiotics orally. As for the vagifem I would have had you used it daily for two weeks before going to the twice a week regimen so at this point you may need a stronger dosage of that
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is the cream you mentioned available without prescription and any particular probiotic.? Do you think the cramps I get some days just maybe for a while ( which I said were like period cramps ) are possibly due to yeast infection? I was sexually active for about 3 years but I ended the relationship 6 months ago and this problem has just started in last few months. Discharge is watery and dries out yellow but no odour.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Loctobacillus probiotics and that and the Lotrimin and Monistat creams are over the counter Kate. The cramps are most likely from the yeast infection
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Dr Chip. Have been worrying about this. I will try the probiotics and creams. I go on beach holiday in just over a week and would like this discharge to improve.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure Kate but do keep in touch