Daniel Sheibley, MD
Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MD Grad Jefferson Medical College 2009. Internal Med intern 2010 & Radiology residency 2011. Husband & father of two.
62460980

I am trying to take this on its just the pain seems to be moving

I am trying to take this on its just the pain seems to be moving around like the lower abdkmen to the genital area..when I say pain its light pain not major but just irritating me.
Expert:  Daniel Sheibley, MD replied 2 years ago.
Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Hello.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

How long have you had the pain?

Customer:

It started shortly after my period.. its what I can describe as a twinge sensation at the bottom of the lower abdonen to the top of the genital area.. sometimes I get light pain around that area

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

But this time is worse? Does it happen around the same time during your menstrual cycle when it has in the past?

Customer:

No iv never really had these twinges before.. just started 2 days after my period..the pain doesnt prevent me from anything its more like niggiling pain..im not on any form of birth control, but my periods have always been regular

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

to certain foods?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

sorry

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Are you sexually active?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

i.e. any chance of pregnancy

Customer:

No

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

This is probably the normal breaking open of a follicle in an ovary as an egg is release (like little explosions) Your body gets irritated by them and the body gets inflamed inside. It passes after time, but can be annoying (one of the main reasons women end up getting ultrasounds in the er of their pelvis).

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Also, twisting of the ovary is painful and can be very dangerous but is only able to be checked with an ultrasound.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Whether you wish to do that is really up to you, but since I can't examine you I can't tell you that it isn't a possibility.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

If you've been having the pain for 2 days it is probably not this twisting however, but that can't be said with certainty without an ultrasound.

Customer:

Oh I see.. I just cant explain it is so difficult..its just like light pain sensations from the stomach area down, not very painful but annoying but iv had it for 3 days now

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Otherwise, taking an antiinflammatory for a few days would take care of the pain cause by reaction to ovulation.

Customer:

I just wanted some reassurance as I was thinking alsorts..

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Appendicitis is another possibility, however doesn't fit with the lack of overt severity that you're having.

Customer:

No its not severe I can cope with it but I just find it worrying

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

If you're not feeling like a visit for an ultrasound in the ER, taking an antiinflammatory (over the counter) would be what you can do at home

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

How are you feeling about that?

Customer:

I would definitely like to see into an ultrasound..

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

That'd have to be at the er given the possibilities of torsion versus appendicitis.

Customer:

Is there a possibility of this being quite serious

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Yes, remote

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

But that's the only way to evaluate for those possibilities, but frankly given that you've had this sensation for 3 days it makes those less likely

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

as they'd have become very seriously painful by now

Customer:

I see... with it being immediately after my period I'd been connecting it all with that

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Yes, it is most likely in reaction to menstruation or ovulation.

Customer:

And with there being some twinges in the genital area

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Sometimes there can be endometrial (menstruating tissue) scattered throughout the pelvis that gets triggered when the period starts causing a little bleeding in the pelvis which the body reacts to as well.

Customer:

Okay.. well I will pursue an ultrasound anyway, I was just making sure incase it was something very serious.. I was thinking it was the start of something else see

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

The more serious problems would likely have become dibilitatingly painful by 3 days

Customer:

I see

Customer:

Is it quite normal for this sort of pain to move around ?

Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor
Experience: MD Grad Jefferson Medical College 2009. Internal Med intern 2010 & Radiology residency 2011. Husband & father of two.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is it quite normal for this paun to move around? this area

Yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

many tthanks I suppose im just so scared you hear so many hortor stories of younger women getting ovarian/cervical cancer etc.. I just needed some reassurance

No worries, my recommendations still stand. Best of wishes and I am sure things will work out
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Im still having these light aches on day 4.. but it stoped for the majority of yesterday just today had light pain.. I will pursue an ultrasound but do you think only going off my symptoms that this will ease off in time?

Yes from what you said it probably will go away but likely come back with future menstrual cycles
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay I see...iv had like a little pulling sensation in the stomach today and im getting occassional lower back pain can this all be related?

Yes quite likely. These symptoms can bethe result of either normal ovarian follicle rupture during menstruation or endometriosis.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

okay thank you for your help with these questions over the last few days I think I can leave a rating now, last thing though is I seem to be urinating frequently lately well a little more than normal, is this something I should be worried about? pain is still the same it has not increased... but on day 5 now so should this be carrying on?

I'd see your primary care doc about getting scheduled for an ultrasound at this point now.