Daniel Sheibley, MD
Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MD Grad Jefferson Medical College 2009. Internal Med intern 2010 & Radiology residency 2011. Husband & father of two.
62460980

lactose intolerant and frequent Diarrhoea, what tests can be

lactose intolerant and frequent Diarrhoea, what tests can be done
Expert:  Daniel Sheibley, MD replied 3 years ago.
Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Do you take any other supplements? Are you still on the iron?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

When was your last blood test done (blood cell count, size, hemoglobin concentration)?

Customer:

sometimes take supplement drinks when v tired but it is lactose free

Customer:

last blood test done 7.8.2013:

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

And that is what showed the normal iron levels?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Do you have heavy periods?

Customer:

haemoglobin 137

Customer:

mean cell vol 80

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

What was your iron level?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

I think you need to have this rechecked and possibly go on a folate supplement, possibly iron again depending on your results

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Nearly all multivitamins have folate which your body needs to make proper blood cells

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Your physician has to prescribe the blood work though

Customer:

yes normal levels but specialist harmatologist asked me to continue on iron as I was still v tired of 1 a day as I started uni and was worried I'd be tired the whole time, I take it from my last test my iron level was 137 g/l is that what you want.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Ok, so you're within normal limits for a woman with your iron, but that was with supplementation.

Customer:

yep,

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Regardless of whether you're taking iron currently or not, and despite the fact your last test was normal, you still need to see your physician and get those labs rechecked. It has been a year and things warrant a revisit

Customer:

get v tired no energy to go out and enjoy uni life like my friends

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

A multivitamin with folate would also be a good recommendation. Any other symptoms other than fatigue? how is your sleep?

Customer:

have taken vitabiotics with feroglobin B12 ie gentle iron and also used to take liquid spaton, but my issue is the frequent diorrea

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

How frequent is your diarrhea? And do you notice any connection to certain foods?

Customer:

almost daily, after eating that's why I don't want to eat in case I have an emergency

Customer:

struggle with sleep sometimes at present due to heat but otherwise need to sleep longer due to fatigue

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Ok. Have you ever been tested for celiac?

Customer:

never

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Gluten intolerance?

Customer:

never

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

That may be a good step for you to do with your doctor. It is what i would advise in addition to getting your blood work checked again

Customer:

ok family have pvt med. cover should I ask to use this to speed process before I go back to uni? what specifics should I ask GP in order to be refered

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Exactly what you've told me and ask them if they feel that would be a good thing to check for - I see no reason why they wouldn't

Customer:

will that be just a blood test to test for gluten intolerance, guess no point in me eliminating it from my diet for 6 weeks or so and testing it myself?

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

yep a blood test

Customer:

will do thanks for your help Daniel have a good Sunday.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

You have a good one too

Customer:

ps just one more quick question, do you think if I exercise again ( not done any for 3 years) it may help my fatigue and may not improve my mean blood cell size but would it produce more blood cells so more oxygen would get round esp. to my brain so I don't feel as tired!

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Yes definitely

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

definitely

Customer:

Ok just felt scared because thought that would zap all my energy levels and won't have left for studying.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

No just take it slow, don't start high intensity right away

Customer:

makes sense, will do thanks.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Best wishes

Customer:

thanks for your help and advise

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

No worries and good luck through school.

I hope this was helpful for you.